Russian missiles struck the Ukrainian capital on Thursday, killing at least three people, including a child, and injuring several others, officials said.
Powerful explosions were heard across Kyiv, as officials warned of a “massive” Russian assault on the capital.
“According to operational information, the number of dead has increased to three people, wounded — to nine. Among the dead is a child,” the city’s military administration said in a Telegram update, raising an earlier toll of one dead and several injured, AFP reported.
Tymur Tkachenko , head of city's military administration, confirmed the first casualty in the latest wave of strikes, said in a Telegram post: “Unfortunately, we have our first casualty due to the enemy attack." He confirmed that a man has died due to Russian attack , according to initial reports.
Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko said five people had been taken to hospital with injuries. He added that a five-storey residential building had collapsed after the strike. He wrote on Telegram that air defence systems were engaged across the city and urged residents to stay in shelters.
The fresh assault came just days after Russia accused Ukraine of staging drone attacks that caused a fire at a nuclear power plant in western Kursk region on Sunday, coinciding with Ukraine’s 34th Independence Day celebrations.
According to Russian authorities, several energy and power facilities were targeted during the overnight drone operations. AP reported that the blaze at the nuclear plant was swiftly brought under control, with no casualties in Sunday attack. While a transformer was damaged in the incident, officials confirmed that radiation levels remained within normal limits.
Powerful explosions were heard across Kyiv, as officials warned of a “massive” Russian assault on the capital.
“According to operational information, the number of dead has increased to three people, wounded — to nine. Among the dead is a child,” the city’s military administration said in a Telegram update, raising an earlier toll of one dead and several injured, AFP reported.
Tymur Tkachenko , head of city's military administration, confirmed the first casualty in the latest wave of strikes, said in a Telegram post: “Unfortunately, we have our first casualty due to the enemy attack." He confirmed that a man has died due to Russian attack , according to initial reports.
Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko said five people had been taken to hospital with injuries. He added that a five-storey residential building had collapsed after the strike. He wrote on Telegram that air defence systems were engaged across the city and urged residents to stay in shelters.
The fresh assault came just days after Russia accused Ukraine of staging drone attacks that caused a fire at a nuclear power plant in western Kursk region on Sunday, coinciding with Ukraine’s 34th Independence Day celebrations.
According to Russian authorities, several energy and power facilities were targeted during the overnight drone operations. AP reported that the blaze at the nuclear plant was swiftly brought under control, with no casualties in Sunday attack. While a transformer was damaged in the incident, officials confirmed that radiation levels remained within normal limits.
You may also like
"America is trying to bully India": Sikkim CM Prem Singh Tamang on US tariffs
The government has opened the treasury for street vendors. know how you can avail the benefits of the scheme?
Rupee Depreciates 18 Paise To 87.76 Against US Dollar, Foreign Fund Outflows & Month-End Dollar Demand Drag
"Extremely unbecoming": Bihar CM Nitish Kumar condemns use of indecent language against PM Modi
Kolkata Police arrests two more Nigerians from Delhi for duping man of over Rs 1 crore in name of WHO